Wednesday 7 October 2009

What's Hot + What's Not...

Click to enlarge ( got that problem sorted now!)

Well it's Wednesday which means, according to the brilliant Loobylu,  it's time for a post about What's Hot and What's Not with me today. 

Here goes:

What's Hot:

* Autumn!
I'll be honest with you, this was almost resigned very firmly into the NOT category. Yesterday was revolting here - wet and rainy from morning until night, thick grey clouds everywhere and our heating decided not to work, then suddenly kicked in and the boiler made a horrendous clanking, shuddering noise. I thought a Borrowers reenactment of the First World war was going on in the airing cupboard. 
Today, however, Autumn has redeemed itself - beautiful sunny skies, a brisk chill in the air and a great big fat orange pumpkin is sitting on my kitchen unit waiting to be whipped up into a spicy soup! YES. PLEASE! 

*Finding the 3 Moleskin Sketchbooks I bought Ages Ago Then Promptly Lost.

Horray! I've found them! 
I'm new to the world of Moleskins and I'm really enjoying working in them. ( see image above) That soft yellow colour of the pages is a beautiful surface to work on and for some reason a lot less scary than a bright white page. Usually when I start a sketchbook I shyly start scribbling on the back pages, but not with my new/newly found Moleskin - I've jumped straight in at the beginning and am loving it!

*Radio Four.
Something else which I'm new too. In the past I've been a bit of a flitterer - diving about here and there to different radio stations during the day whilst getting increasingly irritated either by the presenters or by hearing exactly the same collection of songs  pretty much in the same order, every hour ( I'm looking at you Radio one...). Either that or I gave up and either popped on Spotify or worked like a hermit in silence. 
Now, I've discovered Radio Four. The  Home-Workers Companion. The Deliverer of Knowledge, Culture and Opinion into my Very Own Ears from morning until night (well until Jemma arrives home). It's just brilliant - a variety of different programmes covering a multitude of subjects and no music to either get bored with or distract me in terms of having to chair dance whilst I'm grappling with a difficult picture or a problematic paragraph. JOYFUL!

*Properly Waisted Trousers.
Low Riders - BE GONE! 'Sits low on the Waist' - you no longer seduce me! I am no longer your friend or slave! I will live a life of hoiking up my waistband as I walk or worrying about my botty being exposed when I sit down no more.  I am now (and I pray this isn't a sign of age or an on coming quarter life crisis) a fan of the properly waisted trouser (I hear a ripple of applause from Jemma, my mum and my grandmother who have been nagging me for ages to get some proper slacks and put my botty away) I am now converted to the charms of vintage styled trousers proudly worn on my wait. The comfort is delightful and the slightly rakish look of a 1940's spiv it gives me is an added bonus!

What's NOT:

*Worrying abut the Owl in our Street.
 The other evening whilst strolling down the street whilst walking the dogs we noticed an owl swopping from the rooftops. It's moved in somewhere down the road we think and we are now very concerned that it might mistake our Chihuahua for a mouse when the poor little thing is outside doing - well - you know what. Unfortunately, I don't think Mr. Owl will be swayed by The Chihuahua's winning smile, big googly eyes or  his likeness  to a certain easy listening legend and leave him alone.  I am now forced to stand out side of an evening like a minder for the dogs, glaring at the rooftops  whilst armed with something to throw incase of an Owl attack.

*Cold Mornings.
These are not fun. Anything which makes me leap out of bed and slam the windows shut like Nanny in the Eloise books is absolutely NOT HOT in my book.

* Glade Plug -In CHRISTMAS Air Freshener Adverts Being on TV in OCTOBER

Not hot, Glade... Not. HOT.


3 comments:

  1. I love your lists! Autumn is my favourite season for *all* the reasons you list, even the bad ones... and I am sorry the owl is in you "not" list (though I completely understand why). Owls are such a rare sight here in Australia that when I do see one it's a big day indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yes Autumn rocks and I suppose the grey days and the rain are ok - it means you can lock yourself away indoors and nest. Owls are lovely - just not if they are trying to eat the chihuahua. It's gone nature crazy here soon. I live five minutes from the centre of town yet we have owls and bats swooping around in the evening!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex T Smith!!!
    What a sweaty mess I am right now!! I've tried joining flickr, resetting passwords, uploading safari (and practically every wild animal it involves) - all to try and contact you, elusive red shoed pimpernel that you are.
    I've mused on of your love of muses, cake, cruella, broken baguettes, extravagant frames, bum showings, sleeps in trees and I am a little bit in love- might I also add, I've adored your books on more than one occasion in various book emporia. ( I am not sure if that word exists)
    I am just slightly sad that you don't have any medium sized dogs as I very much judge a dog by the size of its turd!!
    I've even written a note to my friend Ed of York (no duke) a divine illustrator, wondering if he knows you.
    ANYWAY - I am a children's writer, currently well, the rest is top secret. (I know you understand such scenarios fully)..but I wonder if you get this, you could contact me faster than first class on

    jamieharrisesq@hotmail.com

    where I hope to ask you a VERY important question (which has nothing to do with baking)

    cheers, J

    ReplyDelete